Tuesday, May 1, 2012

In Peru!




We're here and well as I think most of you know from FB.  We're slowly getting acclimated a bit.

Having instant wi-fi is such a blessing!  I feel like I can almost go without food if I have wi-fi!

It's a holiday here (Labor Day) and EVERYTHING is closed.  Luckily, we brought food from the states and the plane and and there is some cold bottled water in the lobby and so we're fine.  The hotel is full of soccer players; they look about high school age to me.  I think we'll venture out of our room in a bit--we're taking a p-day, by golly!

All of the electricity is 220 and we weren't prepared for that as it is all 110 in Ecuador.  So, I talked to the clerk in the lobby and he gave me a converter and we're charging our iPhones now so we can use Viber.  My little charging brick is heating up a bit; I hope I'm not frying it.  But, the phone is charging.  

We had a pretty long ride from the airport last night in the heat (about an hour)--a little scary since they were not people from the Church that picked us up at midnight.  What happened to the good ol' days when the President or the Assistants picked you up?  At least they didn't smoke.  The city was bustling even at 1:00 in the morning!  We're staying kind of close to the Temple and they took us by it last night.  I was pretty disappointed seeing it--no lights, no beautiful grounds; I was pretty shocked.  They said it was the Temple, though they said they weren't yet members of the Church.  Maybe it wasn't the Temple--it was so dark I'm not sure.  Sandy noticed how dark all the buildings were on the way through the crazy busy city. 

The people with the Taxi company who picked us up gave us a local cell phone and charger from the Church--I'm trying to figure out how to use it--so different from what I'm used to.  I think the number is 971414605.

I initially thought our room was a real dive, but in the daylight it's not so bad.  Very small.  Mom sure is a trooper.  You should see us with our six ginormous suit cases in this little room!  Pretty comical.  The shower this morning was pretty good, though I forgot to close my mouth!  Oh no!  There is no inside lock on our room door and there is a hole in the ceiling above the toilet to sky, but it's partially covered with some cardboard, so I hope it's okay.  We don't feel unsafe.

Sure love you all!

Mom and Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment